Saturday, December 23, 2006
"But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you: he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.'"
Monday, December 18, 2006
The title of the post is partially said in jest, but, maybe partially not. I'm not sure how other kids are, but mine love to clean. It all started when Chris was younger - around 2-ish. He fell in love with the vacuum. You can ask his grandparents. Every time we'd go to their house, all he wanted to do was vacuum. At home, he wanted to vacuum. All the time. I chalked it up to Chris being a quirky kid.
But now Emily loves to vacuum. And the other day, Chris was playing in the sink, and when I walked into the kitchen, Chris had bubbles covering every inch of the sink. I asked him what he was doing, and he said,
And I turned and walked out of the kitchen. Scrub away, my son, scrub away.
Saturday, December 09, 2006
All about the Holidays
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Both! But holy cow, the calories in eggnog is outrageous!
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? When I was little, the gifts from Santa were in and around the stocking - unwrapped. Bobby and I are really downplaying Santa with our kids, so we haven't ever done gifts specifically from him. They just have some small trinkets in the stocking.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Multicolored on the tree. None on the house ....yet. I'm working on him.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? Yep - a fake bunch of it. Right in our entrance. Most people don't even notice it though.
5. When do you put your decorations up? A couple of weeks before Christmas (this weekend), but we leave them up a long time! har har.6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Gosh, I love almost all of it. Probably the green bean casserole and stuffing are my faves.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: When I was 7 or 8, I was starting to have doubts about Santa, so my parents staged a Santa "break-in". They woke me up to spy on Santa coming in our back door and leaving presents. I remember peeking around the corner of the hallway at him and counting all the grown up relatives that were "hiding" from him and realizing that all of them were accounted for.... so, Santa really did exist! That lasted for about 2 more years.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Oh, a couple of years later, I just kind of knew. Parents kind of confirmed - I guess they gave up trying to convince me. They said something about the "spirit" of Santa and giving to others.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? I used to be able to open one present on Christmas Eve.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Tons of colored lights and then ornaments.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love it for looking at and playing in and skiing on. Driving... not so much.
12. Can you ice skate? I could when I was 13. Haven't since.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I've gotten some really great ones. But, there isn't any ONE that stands out. Maybe the trips from my parents - those are hard to beat. Of course, now, it's all about my kids.
14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ with my family.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Christmas cookies!!!!!! I LOVE them.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Going to church on Christmas Eve and doing the whole candle thing while singing Silent Night.
17. What tops your tree? A star.
18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Well, I'll NEVER turn down a gift. But, I do like finding the perfect thing for someone and then watching them open it up. : )
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Joy to the World, Carol of the Bells, Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire,
20. Candy Canes? Eh, my kids don't care for them so much... I do hang some on the tree.
Join in the fun and let me know what your Christmas is like.