Monday, September 04, 2006

Moms for Modesty




I'm joining in with a group of "mommy bloggers", organized by Everyday Mommy, who are petitioning for more modest clothing for girls. There are bloggers who (unlike me) are on the radar of local media and who have been able to be a voice for the stay at home mom. So, the thought behind the petition is to have every concerned mom "sign" the petition by commenting on the central post at Everyday Mommy's site and then spread the word through linking to it from posts about the same subject, if they choose.

Moms for Modesty Mission Statement
As a Mom for Modesty I believe in common-sense modesty for girls and young women.
I believe in refraining from sexualizing our girls and young women.
I believe that it is unwise and unfair to taunt boys and young men by permitting my daughter(s) to dress in an immodest manner.
I believe that true beauty comes from within and I strive to teach my daughter(s) this truth.
I will loyally shop at retailers that provide girls' and young womens clothing that is modest, affordable and stylish.

This petition is so timely for me. I just mentioned to Bobby the other day, after I'd been in Target, that I'm not looking forward to the days of shopping for Chris and Em for school. Even already with Emily we've run into sizing issues. At 12/18/24 mo. the shorts are cut low on the hips and with very short inseams. They're essentially Daisy Dukes for babies! Even some of the tees are beginning with an "attitude" message: It's Hard Being a Princess, Diva in Training, Spoil Me, etc. And they just get worse as they get bigger. The issue originally was sparked by a question about some tees that Jules had posted. They said things like Bite Me and Man Eater. These were sized for little girls ages 6-8 or so.

I want my kids to look stylish and "cool" just as much as the next mom, but some of the clothes out there is just plain scary. I want my little girl to look cute and modest. She doesn't need to let her belly button show or have messages on her rear to look stylish. I know that I have a long road ahead of me.

Several women made some suggestions for places that do carry cute clothing that's appropriate for small kids. Among them were: Land's End, Gymboree, Old Navy (most of the time), Children's Place, Hannah Andersson. I didn't link to them because I'm lazy. Maybe we can send more business to these types of retailers to thank them for maintaining their standards.

Feel free to join in on the petition. You don't have to have a blog to do so. Let's keep our little girls innocent!

No comments: